9 best players in history of Manchester United.
Manchester United football club was founded in 1878 under the name Newton Health LYR FC. In 1902, the club’s name was changed to Manchester United.
There is no team that has more English league titles that Manchester United, who surpassed Liverpool after securing their 19th last season. But titles cannot be won without great players and Manchester United has had their fair share of talented footballers.
Here are the 10 best players in Manchester United.
- Paul Scholes: Legendary midfielder Paul Scholes. Scholes makes the cut primarily because of three factors; consistency, goal scoring out of the midfield and the fact that he is a proven winner. In a game where players are plagued by injury year in and year out, Scholes make 25 or more appearances for Manchester United in 17 consecutive seasons. If that doesn’t scream consistency, I don’t what happened. Scholes won 22 trophies in his illustrious career at old Trafford, including 10 premier league titles.
- Wayne Rooney: Wayne rooney will surely end up higher on this list when he retire from football. In 327 appearances for Manchester United, Wayne Rooney has bagged 155 goals. Wayne Rooney is on Manchester United all time scoring list at the moment but, he is within striking distance of Ryan Giggs 159, Mark Hughes 163 and joe Spence 168. If Wayne Rooney’s goal scoring form continues, he will surely surpass Giggs. Hughes and Spence this season and may eventually dethrone Sir Bobby Charlton 249 as the ed Devil’s top scorer of all time.
- Peter Schmeichel: A great goalkeeper of all time, former Danish international. Peter Schmeichel made 398 appearances for Manchester united was recognized as one of the top 10 goalkeepers of the 20th century by the international federation of football history and statistic in 2000.
- Roy Keane: Is former Republic of Ireland star. Roy Keane made 480 appearances in the Manchester United midfield from 1993 to 2006, scoring 50 goals. Roy Keane is also known to taking the armband from Eric following the Frenchman’s abrupt retirement.
- Ryan Giggs: Is the most popular midfielder. Ryan Giggs is currently Manchester United all time scoring list with 159 goals and has made a club record 879 appearances. He made his debut for the red devils back in 1990 and hasn’t stopped tearing apart defenses ever since. Earlier Giggs was earlier names Manchester United greatest players ever in a worldwide poll conducted by Manchester United.
- Denis Law: Former Scotland striker Denis Law spent over a decade with the red devil 1962 to 1973. In that time, he scored 171 goals in 309 appearances for the club. Law is the epitome of a “Living Legend” Law is depicted on the Manchester United trinity statue of the old Trafford alongside legend Sir Bobby Charlton and George Best.
- Eric Cantona: Despite spending only five seasons at Manchester United, Eric is indeed an automatic to 10 selections. The Frenchman appeared 185 times for the red devils, bagging 82 goals in all competition. During his five seasons, Eric won nine trophies, including winning the premier league title four times.
- Cristiano Ronanldo: The only reason why Ronaldo is not higher on the list if because of the way he left Manchester United. Other than that, he is the best player to ever put on the Manchester United jersey and arguable one of the all time great talent in world football. From 2003 to 2009 Ronaldo made 292 appearances for the red devil scoring an impressive 118 goals.
- Sir Bobby Charlton: The former England international scored 249 goals for Manchester United, a club record. Charlton was usually featured as an attacking midfielder for the red devils and infamous for his tantalizing long range shots. As fans of football, we were spoiled by Bobby Charlton’s excellence on the pitch and to think that his career and life could have ended in his second season is mind numbling. Charlton was one of 21 players who survived the Munich air disaster of 1958.